LEAK ADJUSTMENT POLICY
VOMWD District Code Section 9: Property-side leaks
Customers are responsible for the water service piping and fittings attached to the water system beginning at the first fitting on the customer’s side of the meter. All leaks in the customer’s water service piping and fittings are the customer’s responsibility and must be repaired by the customer solely at his/her expense.
A “property-side leak” is any loss of water due to deterioration of the customer’s water service piping, fittings or equipment, the existence of which is known or unknown to the customer, and said loss emanates from “behind the meter register chamber”, serving the customers property.
No adjustment or credit will be applied to the water bill for property-side leaks, damage, deterioration or other factors beyond the control of the District, except as indicated below:
VOMWD District Code Section 10: Adjustment of Billing
The General Manager or another person delegated the responsibility for adjusting water billings, may adjust the water usage portion (excluding service charge), on a customer’s bill when the following requirements are met.
- Customer shall notify District, in writing, of water loss from a property side leak within thirty days from the billing date for the period in which the water loss occurred. The water loss adjustment shall be limited to one adjustment in a thirty six month period per customer, and the adjustment shall be made for a single billing period only.
- The District determines that there is a property side leak and the approximate rate of leakage by observing conditions at the property and meter operation.
- There must be evidence that excessive use of water was not due to the customer’s willful or neglectful acts, or failure of due diligence on the part of the consumer.
- The District determines that the bill is excessive in that it does not truly reflect the amount of water that has been beneficially used by the customer.
- The District shall require repair bills or other appropriate documentation substantiating the repair of the property side leak prior to approving a claim for adjustment.
- The District must be satisfied that the leak problems that resulted in a request for an adjustment have been properly repaired or resolved. District will dispatch a representative to the property to verify no further leaks exist. A determination of whether an adjustment is granted shall be made by the General Manager or his designee, and shall be final. In making the determination, the District will consider all circumstances surrounding the request.
- Adjustment shall not be made for faucet, toilet or irrigation leaks or mechanical malfunctions, and no adjustments shall be made for any subsequent leaks on the same piping system.
The adjustment shall be calculated as follows:
The customer’s average bill will be calculated based on usage over the most current three year period using the same three billing periods from each year. If such records of usage do not exist, the District will average whatever usage history is available. Any usage during the period in question, which is over the calculated average, will be considered to be caused by the leak and called “overage”.
The adjustment to a customer’s account shall be adjusted as follows:
Adjustments will only be made to tiered rates that are in excess of the uniform commodity rate. This usage will be charged at the uniform commodity rate in effect at the time of the leak. Click here for the Leak Adjustment Application.